Monday 30 August 2010

My process

Such as it is at any rate.

Usually, when the idea is only partly formed, I start with a pad of paper and a pen. On occasion, as happened with Setting Stones, an idea strikes me and a word processor is the only way of getting all the words out of my head before they decide they've got better places to be.

After the initial burst of effort comes, what I find to be, the slowest part of the process: Typing up.
It needs done though, because it then forms the backbone of all the subsequent drafts. I may do some slight re-arranging on the computer, but a majority of the corrections, rearrangements and polishing happens with a print out and a pen. I'll score words (and sometimes paragraphs) out, scribble in new sentences, replace words and generally edit the document to death.

Sometimes I might even format it.

Which is where I am just now. The tricky second draft. This one is particularly daunting as I've decided to change the perspective, which will have to be done mostly on the PC rather than on paper.

That's how I do it anyway.

What about the rest of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment